Calendar for Mr. Woodhall's Classes

Friday, September 12, 2008

Contributions from the Antagonist: Large Hadron Collider

Hello, Mr. Woodhall!Long time no chat, obviously because I'm no longer living in the country. I'm still very interested in science, I'm currently taking environmental science, and have actually straightened up and gotten my act together. (Meaning I actually do work) but I have some new stuff for you to look at, if you don't mind my continual contributions. You had to have heard of the Hadron Collider by now, and I do hope you know that they just flicked the switch a few days ago. Here's an article.

3 comments:

Gord Woodhall said...

Great to hear from you! I always enjoy the tips.
You are correct, it is all over the news here right now. It is a fascinating experimental idea, seriously how do they come up with this stuff? I am curious to know how the religions are going to react if and when these experiments are succesful. In fact, did you hear about some of the groups that were trying to ban the collider in fear that it was going to create a black hole that would destroy the planet? I believe they even made it to court but everntually lost.
I am very glad to hear that you are now using your powers for good :) Keep them coming.

The Antagonist said...

The whole black hole debacle is just ridiculous. There's not enough matter and energy released in that one space to collapse into making a black hole. A handful of "black matter" is theoretically the weight of 60 billion cars. So it's an extremely dense mass? Is it some kind of element in itself?

The Antagonist said...

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

^ to go with the comment I just submitted.